We Needed a Break // Self-Care in 2021!
We Weren’t Around For a While…
You may have noticed that we took a little bit of a break last week and that never happens. Taking time off is so rare for us that we don’t usually take breaks in putting out content – even during the holidays. It’s a pretty natural course for Ami and me because life and work are kind of the same thing for us, but I finally got to a point where I knew that I had to stop. Here’s what happened…
After Christmas, we were still going strong. Videos were planned, filmed, and edited. We were working on projects with other companies and trying to balance everything like we always do and it hit me as we approached New Years’ that I didn’t have it in me to edit any more videos for the moment. My body and mind were rebelling against my strenuous work ethic. I woke up one morning at 4:30 with a horrible headache, exhausted and dehydrated.
I Knew Then That Something Was Wrong.
I needed to take a step back and give myself some time to refuel and refresh. It was then that I realized that my family also needed this time as well. So, we stopped.
I quit being Justin McClure, Entrepreneur for a few days and I was just myself. I got in some great workouts, ate to fuel and replenish my body, and even took the time to go to a Spa and force myself into space where all I could do was relax. It is so easy for me to get to a place where I only focus on work and the kids that I forget that I can’t be successful if I am not taking care of myself.
Make Your Goals About You.
This year, as we make goals for ourselves, I will encourage you to make a goal to see to your needs first. I know that sounds very selfish, but stay with me for a moment. I don’t mean that you have to ignore the needs of your children, spouse, business, or even pets. I mean that you can’t pour from an empty cup. That’s a very old saying but it’s so true! If you don’t prioritize your mental and physical health, then you can’t be effective in what you are doing.
Life Hacks for 2021!
Here are some of my tips for ensuring that you are building a healthy lifestyle for yourself (I am not a doctor, but these help me, so do what you will with the suggestions provided.):
- I know that this sounds obvious, but if you aren’t sleeping, your body can’t restore itself and you are doing yourself no favors.
- Drink Water.
- I am a firm believer that there are not many problems that can’t be solved by drinking water. It promotes energy and healthy skin. You can even knock out some of those headaches that keep you up at night if you stay hydrated.
- Build an Exercise Routine.
- Not only will exercise keep you happy and energized, but a healthy routine will encourage healthy behaviors.
- Don’t Eat Junk.
- Eat to fuel your body and don’t pile on the junk food. While the greasy stuff may taste better than some healthier options, it will slow you down and do damage to your system.
- Make Time to Do Something You Love Every Day.
- If you aren’t making time to do something you love every day, then what’s the point? Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed and if all you are doing is working, then you are doing something wrong.
- Read More.
- Read literally anything. Find a book, newspaper, blog, or cereal box and soak in some knowledge. Turn off the social media for a little bit and try and consume some media that will enlighten, encourage, and inspire you. I think the world would be a much better place if people took the time to read and expand their knowledge.
- Self-reflection is so important. Take a few minutes each day to assess yourself and your situations and find the good, bad, and ugly about it all. We need to be sure that our actions and reactions promote kindness and compassion.
- Listen to Your Body. Know When to Pause.
- Know where your limits are. Your body will send you warning signs if you aren’t meeting your needs. Pay attention and make sure that you are prioritizing your health.
I Hope You Take Care of Yourself This Year.
There you have it! Those are my suggestions for a well-balanced lifestyle in 2021! The outside world is insane enough that we can’t afford to not take care of ourselves if we are able. Do you have any health goals for 2021? Do you forget to take care of yourself? Did you notice our break? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my new channel and watch my first video! You can also join my Facebook Group if you are ready for serious discussions. As always, you can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Don’t forget to join our Facebook group and subscribe to our newsletter! Also, if you missed our last blog post, you can find it here!